Yarn related hobbies like knitting, crochet, spinning, and dyeing are seasonal hobbies for most crafters. This mean that as a seasonal yarn related business; you'll make the bulk of your income during the fall and winter. That can leave you hearing crickets in the warmer spring and summer months.
There are several things you can do to help bring in more income year round:
- Make sure your business foundation is in order
- Develop a deeper relationship with your target audience
- Create products and services that complement your designs
Let's take a look at what you need to set your business up for success
Sometimes we can get so caught up in the daily tasks of running a business that we don’t take time to clarify the elements that can help us successfully market and sell our products and services.
As a crafty entrepreneur, you should know:
- The specific products or services you create
- Which segment of the crafting audience you're targeting
- Why you chose this industry, and these products or services
- Whether your branding and marketing strategies reflect the message of your company
The answers to these questions make up the foundational branding of your business. If you don't know the answer to even one of them, you're marketing and selling messages won't be clear to your crafting audience. Crafters won't have a clue that you're creating products for or communicating specifically to them.
A Professionally Branded Yarn Business:
- Attracts the right crafters
- Keeps those crafters engaged with content that's important to them
- Creates and designs specifically for their target crafting audience
- Offers products and services that keep customers coming back year round
There are so many creative businesses competing for attention, which means you have to set yourself apart by being the best at what you do and make sure your brand message reflects what you offer and is directed toward the right audience.
If you aren't sure if your branding strategy is communicating the right message, download a copy of the FREE Brand Audit Workbook from the L Knits Resource Library and use it to make sure you’re on the right track or pinpoint where you may need help. If you don’t have the password, sign-up below to get access.
The Brand Audit is a 20-page workbook that asks you specific questions that address different aspects of your business. Use the included checklist to keep track of where your business needs the most attention.
Here are a few L Knits articles that can help you get started and understand how vital a targeted brand strategy is to your business. (click to read each article):
- What's a Brand
- Branding: Judging a Book by its Cover
- The Elements of a Great Brand
- What's a Brand Identity?
- What does your Website say about Your Business?
Any season is the best season to set yourself up for a more prosperous year. If you already know that the foundation of your business needs work, get yourself a copy of DESIGN YOUR BRAND: The Ultimate Branding Guide for Creative Yarn Businesses.
This 241-page business building workbook helps you dive deep into what makes your business different and how to get that message across to your audience. Take a look at it HERE.
In the next L Knits article, we'll take a look at attracting and engaging you're crafting audience.
In the meantime, grab your favorite drink 🍹, have a seat in the sun and get to work on that Brand Audit.
Sticks & String,